SYI 2.0 : June 25-28, 2015 | Registration Opens January 2015
On the heels of the Summer Youth Institute’s success, in 2012 the Winter Institute launched an annual four-day reconvening of SYI alumni focused on intrapersonal skills (mindfulness and time/stress management) and college prep. Every other year, approximately 30 SYI alumni from the previous two years’ cohorts reconvene at the University of Mississippi for SYI 2.0. The next SYI 2.0 is scheduled for June 25-28, 2015.
The reunion serves several purposes:
• Maintain the strength of a network of future Mississippi leaders
• Expand the curriculum of citizenry and community engagement ignited at SYI
• Refine the SYI curriculum based on the group’s feedback
• Strengthen the enduring effectiveness of SYI students’ community projects by establishing their own action plans and processes for evaluation and building momentum. Winter Institute staff also seeks to establish relationships where they can be supportive and resourceful to students along the way.
Summer Youth Institute 2.0 is emerging as great opportunity for our alumni to cross-pollinate and strengthen each other through discussions of their successes and opportunities back home. Students benefit from being in an emotionally and educationally safe space to brainstorm and build their knowledge bases and capacities to create the change they desire to see.
Our 2013 SYI 2.0 Participants:
Alexandra Wilegus, Amanda Simpson, Calvin Dixon, Christopher Cross, De’Ahnera Manyfield, Deanna Jones, Donovan Barner, Ebonie Baker, Hunter Pace, Johnny Robinson, Joseph Walden, Karnessia Georgetown, Kierra Jones, Lacius Caddle, Montrell Allen, Quezdon Nash, Taylor Daniel, Telviontae Nash, Warner King, Zacchaeus McEwen, Zaria Williams
- June 2013: Winter Institute executive director's nephew and De'Vante Wiley (SYI 2010)
- June 2013: Ebonie Baker (SYI 2012), Susan Glisson (Institute executive director), and De'Ahnera Manyfield (SYI 2012)
- June 2013: Molly Schneider (Counselor 2012-13), Zacchaeus McEwen (SYI 2012), Warner King (SYI 2012), Amanda Simpson (SYI 2012)
- June 2013: Deanna Jones (SYI 2012) and Alexandra Wilegus (SYI 2012)